My I-140 is approved and my priority date is current. Can I file for adjustment of status on my own, or do I need to go through my employer?


To file for AOS, there must still be a valid offer of employment from the I-140 sponsor (and normally an updated offer of employment letter to submit with the I-485.) In most circumstances, if the I-140 position is not still available, the I-485 cannot be filed. But, if the position is available, it generally is possible to use the attorney of one’s choice to file the I-485. (23.Jan.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.