I graduated from college with a bachelor’s degree as a student in F-1 status. Prior to graduation, I applied for optional practical training (OPT) and received a job offer in another state. …

… A few days after I moved to the new address, I notified my DSO and the USCIS of my new address and kept checking the USCIS online case status for my OPT application. It has now been several weeks since the case status changed to saying that my OPT application was approved and my new employment authorization document (EAD) card had been sent, but I never received it. When I called USCIS Customer Service to report this problem, I was told that the EAD card was probably lost in the mail. What should I do?


You should file a new I-765 for for “replacement of a lost employment authorization document.” With your application, you may want to send a copy of the I-797 receipt notice for your initial OPT application, a screenshot of the case status online, and a cover letter explaining your request. You should also submit the filing fee and follow the other general I-765 instructions for the filing location and the rest of the supporting documents. (03.Feb.2017)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.