09 Jan 2017

I am on OPT and will be filing for H1B this year. If the case is approved, will I need to go for stamping? If not, can my dependent still go for stamping, since she is outside the U.S.?

Answer In general, a visa "stamp" is only required for purposes of reentering the U.S. after foreign travel. Otherwise, one can change status within the U.S. One's dependent typically should be able to receive an H-4 "stamp" in this scenario. (09.Jan.2017)In frequent sessions of our Chat,...

29 Dec 2016

DOE Response to MLF Attorneys on Validity of Degree Issued Prior to University’s Loss of Accreditation

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) generally will only recognize a U.S. degree that is issued by an accredited institution. Moreover, the accreditation must be granted by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE). How is a degree viewed, however,...

02 Dec 2016

My husband and I are full-time students in F-1 status. We are currently expecting our first child. After the birth of our baby, I would like to reduce my course load to part-time, but continue to take classes towards my master’s degree. Is this permitted?

Answer To be able to take classes on a part-time basis, you may need to apply for a change of status from F-1 to F-2 as a spouse of an F-1 student. Individuals in F-2 status are permitted to enroll in less than a full-time study,...

live chat software