I left the U.S. in June 2016 after completing my six years of H1B time. Can I now be sponsored for a new H1B in this year’s lottery?


Once a person has used the full six-year period of H1B time, s/he generally would need to be outside the U.S. for at least one full year before a new cap-subject petition could be filed. The key here is that the individual must be eligible at the time of filing. So, for H1B cap filings this year, one would need to meet the 1-year requirement by April 7, 2017. (06.Mar.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.