Can you please explain whether an academic degree obtained from a university that was accredited at the time the degree was awarded, but later lost its accreditation, …

… is still considered to be an accredited degree? Can such a degree be used to apply for immigration benefits requiring an accredited degree?


A degree conferred by an accredited school remains an accredited degree even if the school later loses its accreditation. The USCIS recently issued a memo based on Matter of A-T- Inc., Adopted Decision 2017-04 (AAO 23.May.2017) holding that such a degree can qualify one for an H1B Master’s Cap which requires that the degree be issued by an accredited school, among other things. However, in order to qualify for an F-1 STEM OPT extension, a degree would have to be obtained from a school that is still accredited as of the date of the application, which is based on a specific provision in the STEM OPT rule. (09.Jun.2017)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.