I have a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from China and I applied to a master’s program at a university in the U.S. I was admitted into the program and the school issued me an I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa. …

… After a very short interview, the consular officer denied my visa application based on a lack of ties with my home country of China. I have a valid B-1/B-2 visa stamp in my passport, which I received 2 years ago. Can I use that stamp to come to the U.S. and apply for a change of status to F-1 after my entry?


No. Each visa classification requires the applicant to possess specific intent at the time of the visa application and also at the time of his/her entry to the U.S. If you intend to change your classification after your entry, this would be misrepresentation, which can result in a permanent inadmissibility bar. You may want to speak with an immigration attorney about how to make your visa application stronger and apply for an F-1 visa again. (15.Dec.2017)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved


Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.