I am currently working in H1B status in Michigan, very close to the Canadian border. Is it ok if I rent a house in Canada and then commute to Michigan for work every morning? Would an H1B amendment be needed?


Generally speaking, a person is permitted to live in Canada and commute to an H1B position in the U.S. each day. (This, of course, is assuming that the individual is permitted to reside in Canada, pursuant to Canadian immigration law.) If the H1B job and worksite remain the same, there is no reason that an H1B amendment would be required. (29.Jan.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.