I am in H-4 status and am in the process of getting a divorce from my H1B husband. How many days may I remain in the U.S. once my divorce is finalized?


There is no grace period in this scenario. Once a divorce is finalized, the (former) dependent spouse is no longer eligible for H-4 status. You typically would fall out of status as soon as the divorce is official (although, depending on the circumstances, you won’t necessarily start accruing unlawful presence). Prior to that happening, it is likely you should either apply for a change of status or depart the U.S. (02.Apr.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.