My application to change status to H-4 is currently pending. If I leave now, can I then get the H-4 directly from the consulate?


The H-4 COS will be abandoned when one leaves the U.S., but one can apply for an H-4 visa stamp to return at any time (assuming the principal spouse is in valid H1B status). A COS approval is not required to apply for a visa “stamp.” (14.May.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.