I am contemplating opening an LLC company. Can that company sponsor me for H1B classification if I own a substantial portion of the company? Can I apply for an H1B if I am self-employed?


Although H1B classification generally is prohibited in self-employment situations, it nevertheless is possible to have an H1B filed through a company in which you have an ownership interest. However, that company must still be able to demonstrate control in an employer-employee relationship. Generally, that would mean that you should have a minority ownership or that there should be an independent board with the ability to remove you. Before making any such investment while in H1B status, it would be wise to consult with an immigration attorney about your specific situation. (28.Jan.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.