I was recently laid off from my H1B position. If I find a company to file an H1B change of employer for me within my 60-day grace period, will I have to provide any special paperwork to show I’m in the grace period?


Typically, if an H1B change of employer is filed during the 60-day grace period, no “special” paperwork would be required. As with most any H1B petition requesting status, one should provide evidence of having maintained status; if filing during one’s grace period, such evidence may include paystubs or the like, showing that the employment ended fewer than 60 days prior to the filing of the new H1B petition. (04.Feb.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.