I am in H1B status, working for a for-profit company. If I transfer to a cap-exempt nonprofit organization, would I later be able to move back to a for-profit company, without having to go through the lottery again?


In general, once one is counted under the H1B cap, it is possible to move back and forth between cap-subject employers and cap-exempt nonprofit employers until one has exhausted one’s 6 years of H1B time. (08.Apr.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.