My H-4 I-94 is valid for two more years, but my H-4 visa has expired. If I go to Canada for a few days, do I need to get a new visa “stamp” before I can return to the U.S.?


Under the contiguous territory rule, one generally can go to Canada or Mexico using automatic visa revalidation (“AVR”) for up to 30 days if one’s I-94 is unexpired. A valid visa stamp is NOT required to reenter the U.S. However, one cannot use “AVR” if one plans to appear for a visa interview in Canada or Mexico. (13.May.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.