I am in H-4 status and am enrolled in university in New York. My husband just got a great job offer for an H1B position in Minnesota. Can I stay in New York to finish my studies, or does the H-4 spouse have to live in the same place as the H1B spouse?


There is no requirement that an H-4 spouse live with the principal H1B spouse. As long as he maintains valid H1B status, you normally would remain eligible for H-4 status, even if you are not currently living in the same household. (18.Dec.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.