I am going to India to get married, and then am going to honeymoon for two weeks on a Caribbean island. I will apply for a visa at the consulate there. Will I need to also apply for a national interest exception (NIE) because of the travel ban?


The COVID-related travel ban generally applies if the person has been in India (or one of the other restricted countries, such as China, the United Kingdom, and the Schengen area), within the previous 14 days. If a person leaves India and spends 14 days in a country that is not subject to a travel ban, normally no NIE would be needed.  (29.Jul.2021)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2021, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.