I am in India and I have a valid H1B visa in my passport. My employer in the U.S. does not have any work for me. Can I enter using my H1B visa to find a project to work on?


No, a person may not enter the U.S. in H1B status in order to look for a project (or a job). To enter in H1B status, one generally must be coming to the U.S. in order to work based on an approved H1B petition.  (06.Jan.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.