I have been in H1B status, and my family has been in H-4 status, for the past five years. We have not traveled outside the U.S. in all that time, so the visa stamps in our passports have expired. If my wife travels abroad and I stay in the U.S., will she be able to get an H-4 visa, or do I need to get an H1B stamp first?


Ordinarily, there is no need for the principal spouse to have a valid H1B visa “stamp” in order for a consulate to issue an H-4 visa to the dependent spouse or child. (17.Feb.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.