My mother came to the U.S. in B-2 status. She now wishes to extend her stay for four months. However, the B-2 visa stamp in her passport expires in two weeks. Is that going to create a problem?


No, the expiration date of the B-2 visa “stamp” should not create a problem in applying for an extension of B-2 status. The visa is an entry document and normally needs to be valid at the time the person is requesting admission in B-2 status. If the visa expires after the person has entered the U.S., this has no impact on one’s status (or ability to apply for an extension of status.)  (24.Feb.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.