I am in H-4 status and recently gave birth to a baby girl. We are in the process of applying for her Indian passport so that we can travel home to India. In order to return to the U.S., do I need to first get an H-4 visa for her?


Ordinarily, if a person in H-4 status gives birth to a child in the U.S., that child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen. Applying for an Indian passport for her would not impact her status as a U.S. citizen. In order to return to the U.S., she would normally present her U.S. passport.  (17.Mar.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.