I’m in the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 visa for a business trip. I need to go to Canada for a couple of weeks and then return to the U.S. Will I be readmitted for a full 6-month period when I come back?


Typically, a person who enters in B-1/B-2 status will be admitted with an I-94 valid for six months from the date of entry. During that trip, if the person travels to Mexico or Canada for less than 30 days and then returns to the U.S., they normally will be readmitted based on the same I-94 (i.e., with an I-94 expiration date six months beyond the initial B-1/B-2 entry). (03.Aug.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.