After entering the U.S. on B-2, my mother was injured and is now undergoing medical treatment. Her I-94 expires in a few weeks, and she applied for a B-2 extension, which is still pending. If the B-2 extension is not approved before her I-94 expires, is she required to leave the U.S.?


Typically, a person in B-2 status who timely files for an extension of stay is permitted to remain in the U.S. in a period of authorized stay based on the pending application.  (10.Aug.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.