Many years ago, I was in the U.S. as an E-2 spouse. At the time, I was issued a Social Security Number. If I return to the U.S. now, can I work based on my Social Security Number?


Having a Social Security Number does not necessarily mean a person is authorized to work in the United States. Unless a foreign national is in a status that provides work authorization, such as L2S or an E-2 spouse, that individual generally is not permitted to work in the U.S. (24.Aug.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.