Several years ago, I left the U.S. after using up about 4 years of H1B time. If a company sponsors me for H1B now, would I get a new 6-year H1B period?


In order to be eligible for a new 6-year period of H1B time, one would need to leave the U.S. for at least one year and then go through the lottery again. In your situation, it sounds like you could return without going through the lottery – but, if you were to do that, you would only be eligible for the two years of H1B time remaining (unless you were eligible to extend your H1B time beyond the standard 6-year max.) (02.Nov.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.