Form I-90 Application for Replacement Green Card Now Can be Filed Online

As of March 30, 2015, the I-90 form, which is used to apply for a replacement permanent resident card (commonly, “green card”), can be filed online through the USCIS Electronic Immigration System (USCIS ELIS). This is part of the ongoing effort by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to transition away from paper-based filings.

Form I-90 to Renew, Replace, or Correct Errors on Green Cards

The I-90 is used to request a replacement of one’s physical, plastic green card. Most green cards carry an expiration date of ten-years from the date of issuance, meaning that permanent residents may find themselves filing an I-90 once every decade. However, the I-90 can also be used to apply for a replacement card in other situations, such as if a green card has been lost or stolen, or if it contains a typo or other incorrect information.

Option to File Form I-90 Online or Using Paper-Based System

Individuals filing the I-90 may now choose to do so through the USCIS ELIS system. There have been some recent delays experienced by those using the paper-filing system, as explained in the MurthyDotCom NewsBrief, Temporary Evidence Stamp Option for Delayed I-90 Filings (05.Mar.2015). However, it is too soon to tell whether filings submitted electronically will be processed any more quickly than the standard paper filings.


The Murthy Law Firm appreciates that the USCIS continues to expand the availability of online applications. In addition to providing a convenient option for stakeholders, it is hoped that the incorporation of technological improvements will ultimately help increase efficiency and processing times for immigration filings.


Copyright © 2015, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.