Is it OK for a person who reentered the country on SB1 to apply for a reentry permit?


The SB1 is a returning resident immigrant visa; if an SB1 application is approved, it can be used by a green card holder to return to the U.S. following a stay abroad that lasted longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of the reentry permit. One who reentered on SB1 is like any other GC holder. But, if a person just got the SB1, s/he needs to be careful, as additional extended trips abroad may raise questions about GC abandonment. (06.Jun.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.