Is a person who has worked on H-4 EAD eligible to collect unemployment benefits? What if the former job was performed as a 1099 contractor?


An H-4 spouse who has worked using a valid EAD may be eligible for unemployment benefits. But, it would be necessary to look at the unemployment requirements in your particular state. Note, however, that a contractor is self-employed, and therefore is generally not eligible to collect unemployment. (11.Jul.2016)


In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.