My current EAD, based on my pending I-485, expires in 8 months. Can I apply for EAD renewal now and then leave the U.S. for vacation?


The EAD extension can be filed 120 days in advance of the expiration. It is ok to travel outside the U.S. while the EAD is pending, but it is necessary to consider how one will reenter. The EAD is a work authorization document, not a travel document. But, it is often tied to the AP. If this is a combo filing, it would be necessary to return before the existing AP expires. Get some specific advice if this is not clear. (25.Jul.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.