I am in school on F-1. If I file a change of status to H-4, do I have to remain in school until the application is approved?


Generally speaking, it is permissible to stay in the U.S. based upon a timely filed request to change status. Thus, if the H-4 is properly filed while still holding F-1, it is possible to stay and wait for the H-4 decision without continuing to comply with all the F-1 requirements. (01.Aug.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.