I am in H1B status and am marrying a U.S. citizen. Due to our work situation, we have to live in different states for the time being. Will this create any problems with my GC case filed through my spouse?


As part of filing for a green card based on a marriage to a U.S. citizen, one must demonstrate the validity of your marriage (i.e. your joint life together). If the couple is living apart, they will need to provide documentation evidencing the cause for the separation, and ways in which they will continue to have a joint life despite the distance. For example, evidence of regular trips back and forth to visit each other, regular communication with one another, joint bank accounts and credit cards, etc. (31.Oct.2016)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.