My husband and I are full-time students in F-1 status. We are currently expecting our first child. After the birth of our baby, I would like to reduce my course load to part-time, but continue to take classes towards my master’s degree. Is this permitted?


To be able to take classes on a part-time basis, you may need to apply for a change of status from F-1 to F-2 as a spouse of an F-1 student. Individuals in F-2 status are permitted to enroll in less than a full-time study, even if it counts towards an academic degree. (02.Dec.2016)

Questions frequently reach us from students on a variety of matters. This is a sample question, answered by an attorney in our firm. More information can be found in the student section of MurthyDotCom.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2016, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.