My daughter is in H-4 status, but she turns 21 in July. So, she is applying for a change to F-1. Meanwhile, I have a pending EB3 case. Will her moving to F-1 status prevent her from getting a green card as my dependent?


Moving to F-1 status does not affect one’s eligibility for the GC. Turning 21 might, however, if one is not protected under the Child Status Protection Act. This is a complicated question, and one should consult a qualified attorney in this regard. (22.May.2017)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2017, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.