Last year, I changed status to H1B, so I am in valid status, but I don’t have an H1B visa stamp. I will soon be visiting a friend in El Paso, Texas. Will not having a valid H1B stamp be a problem?


A visa foil (commonly referred to as a “stamp”) is an entry document. As long as one remains in the U.S., there generally is no need to have a valid visa.

That being said, border cities, like El Paso, sometimes have border patrol checkpoints. El Paso has several permanent checkpoints on the roads leading into the city. A valid visa is not needed (or particularly helpful) at such a checkpoint, but one should have proof of valid immigration status; a valid passport and a copy of one’s I-94 typically is sufficient. (16.Apr.2018)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2018, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.