I am an au pair in J-1 status. I am planning to leave the program before it ends, return to my home country, and then come back on a B-2 visa to visit some friends. Is that allowed?


There is no legal prohibition on doing this. However, one in this situation would need to convince a consular officer (if one requires a B-2 visa “stamp”) or a CBP officer at the airport (if one already has a B-2 visa) that the purpose in coming only temporarily as a visitor, and that there is no intention of working illegally. Immigration officials tend to be very skeptical of people who request admission in B-2 status shortly after having been working in the U.S. for an extended period of time. (17.Jul.2019)

In frequent sessions of our Chat, Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law in real time. For details on chat participation, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.