When I was a child, I had a green card through my parents. My family moved me back to India when I was 7 or 8 years old. I am now in my 20s and want to move back to the U.S. Can I renew my green card now? 


In general, a lawful permanent resident (i.e. ‘green card’ holder) who leaves the U.S. for more than one year is deemed to have abandoned his/her residency. There are exceptions to this rule, but you would need to consult with an attorney who can review your situation in more detail to determine whether this is a case worth pursuing. (20.Feb.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.