My wife will soon be applying for an H-4 EAD. Does she have to wait until she gets the EAD to apply for her Social Security Number? Also, as an H1B worker, do I have to renew my SSN?


No, the application for employment authorization (form I-765) now includes a section that allows a person to apply for aSocial Security Number while applying for an EAD. A person typically is only ever issued one SSN; that number is unique and remains associated with that individual for life. There is no need to “renew” it. (21.May.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.