I have a valid H1B visa stamp, but my wife’s H-4 visa has expired. We have to travel to India for an emergency. If we cannot get NIEs, I understand we can go to a different country for 2 weeks to get around the COVID travel ban. However, can my wife apply for a visa at a consulate somewhere other than India?


Normally, most U.S. consulates allow third-country nationals to apply for visas. During the pandemic, however, many consulates have imposed additional restrictions. Prior to scheduling your trip, we recommend checking the particular consulate’s website for instructions on eligibility to apply as a third-country national.  (11.Aug.2021)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2021, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.