I am currently in the U.S. and have a valid H1B visa. I wish to travel to India, but I am worried I may get stuck there. Can I apply for a national interest exception (NIE) while I am still in the U.S.?


Unfortunately, the answer appears to be no. Until very recently, it seemed possible to apply for an NIE before traveling abroad. However, the U.S. Embassy in India recently updated its webpage to indicate that “[w]e cannot pre-adjudicate NIEs for applicants not currently in India.”  (02.Sep.2021)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2021, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.