I entered the U.S. a few months ago in H-4 status, and my I-94 was only granted through the end of May, based on my passport expiration date. I have now renewed my passport. How can I get my I-94 extended to match my H1B husband’s I-94? Can I go back to the port of entry to get the officer to correct my I-94?


If this was an error by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at a port of entry, one normally can contact a CBP deferred inspection site to request that the I-94 be corrected. But here, it does not sound as though an error was made. CBP normally will not issue an I-94 beyond the passport expiration date.

Assuming CBP did not make an error, one option would generally be to either depart the U.S. and return to request a new I-94. Or one can file an I-539 application to request that USCIS extend the H-4 status. (28.Apr.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.