If I get a U.S. master’s degree while in H-4 status, would that make me eligible for next year’s H1B master’s cap, or do I have to be in F-1 status to qualify?


If you earn a U.S. master’s degree from a qualifying university, you normally would qualify for the master’s cap. There is no requirement that a person be in F-1 status while attending the school in order to qualify for the master’s cap. (03.Aug.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.