I was working for Employer A in H1B status, and then moved to Employer B. I am now interested in returning to Employer A. The employer did not withdraw the petition, and it does not expire until next year. Can I join based on the existing petition, or does Employer A need to first file an H1B transfer?


There is a legacy INS opinion letter that indicates it is permissible to return to a previous employer based on the “dormant” petition. However, depending on the circumstances, that is not always the safest / best practice, as it creates a rather confusing history, among other potential issues.  (22.Sep.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.