I am in H-4 status and my husband has an approved I-140. I recently gave birth to our first child, and I have no intentions of working for the foreseeable future. As a precaution, however, I was considering applying for an H-4 EAD. Is this permitted even if I may never use the EAD?


Yes, this is allowed. The H-4 EAD provides the individual with unrestricted work authorization, but it does not require that the person actually work. (05.Oct.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.