After I was laid off from my H1B job, I filed an I-539 application to change to H-4 status. A few weeks later, I got a new job offer, and that company filed an H1B change of employer petition, which was approved. I would now like to withdraw my pending H-4 application. Is there an official form or format to withdraw that case?


There is no official form or format used to withdraw a pending I-539 application. When we need to withdraw a pending I-539 for a client, we typically draft a short, simple letter that says we wish to withdraw the application. In the letter, we include the applicant’s name and the receipt number, and we attach a copy of the receipt notice. We normally send the letter to the USCIS service center that issued the receipt notice. There normally is no need to provide a reason for the withdrawal in the letter. (22.Dec.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.