I am studying on F-1, but my visa stamp expired a few months ago. Can I still apply to transfer to a different F-1 program?


The visa foil is just an entry document; one’s valid F-1 status is governed by the SEVIS database. A valid visa foil is not required for a new program. It will only be necessary if one seeks to reenter the U.S. after foreign travel. (26.Jan.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.