I am in H-4 status and my I-94 expires in 4 months. I am applying for an extension of status, but my passport expires later this year. Can the USCIS approve my extension beyond the passport validity date?


Ordinarily, yes. The shortened passport generally is an issue at the port of entry, where it will result in a short-duration I-94 (tied to the passport validity). But the USCIS typically can grant an extension of status beyond the expiration date of the passport.  (09.Feb.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.