I am a naturalized U.S. citizen. My father is ill, and I am going to travel back to India to take care of him. I may be gone for an extended period. Do I have to inform the USCIS?


An extended stay abroad normally would have no impact on one’s status as a U.S. citizen. There is ordinarily no need to notify the USCIS of travel abroad, even if it will be for an extended period. (13.Jul.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.