After being laid off, I filed an application to change status to B-1. I recently received an RFE asking for evidence that I have the financial means to support myself. I have about $40,000 in my savings account. Is that sufficient? Is there a set dollar figure required?


There is no set dollar figure required to qualify for a stay in B-1 status. Rather, the applicant has the burden of evidencing that they can support themselves during their stay in the United States. Since a person in B-1 status typically cannot work, that normally means the person must have enough money to cover housing, food, etc. Presumably, $40,000 should be more than enough to cover expenses for a 6-month stay in the U.S. This typically can be evidenced through a bank statement or the like.

In the alternative and/or to supplement the record, it is possible to submit a form I-134 declaration of financial support. But, if the person has sufficient cash available, an I-134 normally would not be necessary. (05.Oct.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.