My mother is visiting on her B-2 visa and recently applied for an extension. If the receipt notice does not arrive before her I-94 expires, does she need to leave the U.S.?


In order to remain in the United States in a period of authorized stay, the B-2 visitor must file the application to extend or change status prior to the expiration date of her current I-94. There is no requirement that the receipt notice be issued prior to the I-94 expiration date. (19.Oct.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.