I used about 4 years of H1B time and then left the U.S. It has been more than a year since I was last in the U.S. Does that mean I am now eligible for a fresh 6-year period of H1B time?


Generally speaking, in order to be eligible for a new 6-year period of H1B time, the individual would need to be outside the U.S. for at least one year and then apply through the lottery again. Ordinarily, simply leaving the U.S. for one year or more and then returning based on the same H1B cap number would not grant the individual a fresh 6-year period of H1B time. (07.Dec.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.