I have about 11 months of H1B time remaining before I max out. If I leave the U.S. for 1 year, and then return in H1B status, would I be eligible for another 6 years of H1B time?


If you have H1B time remaining, it generally is possible for an employer to file an H1B petition on your behalf requesting the remaining period of H1B time. To be eligible for a new 6-year period of H1B time, however, one would have to be outside the U.S. for one year, and then go through the H1B lottery again. (06.Mar.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.