I own a company in the U.S. and one in India. In India, there is someone who has worked for the Indian entity as a contractor for a couple of years, developing a proprietary tool for us. Is it possible for him to now work for the U.S. company in L1B status?


One of the requirements to qualify for L-1 is that the foreign national must be employed by the related entity abroad for at least one year. Serving as a contractor, rather than an employee, typically would not be sufficient to meet this requirement. (24.Apr.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.